Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
If you are new to the vegan diet, you might just be testing the waters with different recipes and experimenting with flavors. At first, meals can seem a bit repetitive – yes, another dinner of veggies, sooo exciting – however, I am here to open your eyes to the world of plant-based possibilities! Enter my creamy vegan pumpkin pasta sauce recipe!
Yes! This creamy pasta sauce is completely dairy-free and perfect for an indulgent vegan dinner. Vegan food doesn’t mean you have to eat the same meals on repeat, and you can easily recreate delicious creamy foods if you know the right plant-based substitutes.
What are the best vegan plant-based cream substitutes?
Before veganism and plant-based eating became so popular, there were limited options in the grocery stores. Now though, we have numerous different brands of dairy-free creams to choose from, as well as some DIY options to create in our kitchens if we can’t be bothered to run out to the store! Here are some suggestions for you to try:
- Soy cream: Silken tofu blended with soy milk. As tofu is condensed soy milk, the two are different forms of the same product and can be blended together for a smooth thick consistency.
- Soy milk + oil: Sounds strange, I know, however, the fat in the oil thickens the soy milk to create a vegan cream which is incredibly useful to know if it’s late on Sunday night and the store has already closed!
- Cashew cream: Blend pre-soaked cashews with some water. Cashew cream is often used as a cream cheese substitute with a pinch of nutritional yeast.
- Coconut milk: The easiest of the bunch – simply open a can of coconut milk!
Coconut milk is my cream substitute in this easy vegan pasta sauce recipe.
Does it taste like coconut?
No, the flavor is so subtle, especially as it is evenly balanced with the rich warm savory flavors of garlic and pumpkin, plus the fragrance of sage, thyme, and rosemary.
Combining pumpkin puree with coconut milk is similar to making a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving when you make the pumpkin custard; the creamy pumpkin texture is bolstered by the fat and it becomes velvety smooth, ready for additional fall flavors. (Mmmm am I the only one ready for fall?! Sign me up to all the pumpkin recipes!) The sauce then glides over the pasta, clinging to it like a slinky dress, then all it needs is a sprinkling of chopped walnuts for a bit of crunch.
Is this vegan pumpkin pasta sauce easy?
Oh my goodness, yes! Just like with any pasta sauce recipe, all you need to do is chop an onion, crush some garlic, and boil the kettle to make some vegetable stock. From there, you just open two cans and cook some pasta!
If only cooking was always this easy!
Try this silky, creamy pumpkin pasta sauce for lunch or dinner, and you’ll be amazed by how delicious and easy vegan cooking can be!
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 14 oz light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 oz pasta of choice
- chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Add vegetable stock and onions. Sauté until soft and translucent, for about 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the minced garlic. Sauté for an additional minute.
- Add sage, rosemary, and thyme. Stir to combine, and sauté for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add pumpkin puree and coconut milk, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package instructions, then drain.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce. Toss until the sauce completely coats the pasta and garnish with chopped walnuts.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 15 oz pumpkin puree 1 can
- 14 oz light coconut milk 1 can
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 16 oz pasta of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Add vegetable broth and onions. Sauté until soft and translucent about 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add minced garlic. Sauté an additional minute.
- Add sage, rosemary, and thyme. Stir to combine, and sauté an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add pumpkin puree and coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce. Toss until sauce completely coats the pasta.